Better Than Idol?
That's a hard one. There's something about American Idol we've all grown to love - from Ryan Seacrest to the opening credits music (admit it!). They've been around for 10 years and now that they're "remixed," they're unstoppable.
So, better than Idol? No.
Better Than The Voice?
I wouldn't even compare it. It is completely different.
It does remind me of...
America's Got Talent! All the judging is done in front of a live audience. That means the judges take the audience's opinion very much into consideration.
There's also the mean British judge. And there's also a bunch of untalented contestants, because Simon is not fun if he doesn't throw around the occasional "That's atrocious".
1. America loves Simon Cowell, and he is as funny as ever. Some say he's mean, I say
2. Paula Abdul is the nicest woman you'll ever meet. She truly cares about the contestants. She'll get up on stage to hug a contestant if they're crying. (JLo never walked up the stage to do that, and yes, Paula is also wearing 6-inch heels)
3. The Simon-Paula love-hate relationship! We all know Simon and Paula like to hate each other on-camera. They LOVE each other and it shows.
4. L.A. Reid is also a strong judge. He won't sugarcoat it. He knows what it takes to make it (he discovered Usher, Justin Bieber), and he is truly in the search of another worldwide superstar. That's cool.
1. The live audience only got to see the show's host Steve Jones for about 5 minutes. First Impression? Blah! Not a Ryan Seacrest.
2. 4 judges? Remember when Idol had a panel of 4 judges? It can get a bit tedious. I do love every single judge in The X Factor, though.
3. If you didn't like Simon Cowell, you might not want to watch. Wait, what? There's people that don't like Simon Cowell?
What You Won't See
1. The judges take their time. You may thing each contestant gets a minute, but they might get a good 10 minutes. Simon likes to stop them and ask them what other song they have. Also, contestants do their fair share of begging, and they don't ever show that.
2. In the course of about 5 hours, we saw about 20 contestants. Yes, it moves that slow.
3. You thought the judges were so unbelievably gorgeous just because? I hope you didn't, because that would be
4. Don't cha wish your girlfriend was hot like her? You should. Nicole Scherzinger's body is UNREAL. She is also so cute and nice, and agreed to take a picture with me "because I had a flower in my hair!" Hahaha! (You don't get pics with the judges unless you're very lucky)
5. The judges sit there for long periods of time just talking. Then, they turn around and talk to the people around them. Yeah, like normal people. LOVED seeing this.
6. Simon turns around to look at people's reactions and throws around the occasional wink (I got a couple). Swoon.
8. At one point, Simon got on Paula's nerves and she dumped the bowl of peanuts on him. Hilarious.
9. Paula Abdul is 48 years old and she has a rocking body. Best back, arms and legs I've seen in a while.
10. At some point, a big shot producer came to Nicole Scherzinger to tell her she was doing a good job. Awww.
In the Audience, Looks Matter
There's a huge team devoted to getting pretty people around the judges. It starts outside. If they like your look, you'll get Floor Tickets. I got there late, and still got floor tickets.
I sat in the last row of the floor and in about 1 minute, a member of the crew came up to us and brought us to the first row. They moved 2 younger kids back.
So, are you offended? Sure, be offended. The truth is that you like to see decent-looking people on camera, so that's what they give you. I say, Welcome To TV Land!
Contestants That Stood Out
16-year-old Jasmine Little (not sure about the spelling here) but she sang the world out of a Mary J. Blige and a Beyonce song. A guy named Jeremiah, and there's 2 other cute guys. One sang Break Even and the other one sang an original and Stand By Me.
P.S. I asked Simon Cowell to marry me. He said "Of course, but you know I won't get married!". Is that a yes or a no?